Sunday, February 9, 2014

There's nothing like being your own boss!

I started working when I was 15, first as a baby-sitter, then as a kindergarden teacher. In my early twenties I worked as a secretary, an executive assistant, a translator and a typesetter. That typesetting gig got me a job at an important publishing firm in Mexico City where I went from assistant to the director to head of the copyright division. Throughout my years as a regular employee I worked for several brilliant men and women in cultural and academic settings, a business tycoon, a well-know orchestra director, a very chic art gallery owner and even a Mexican ex-president.

As you can see, I have been exposed to many different work environments and every person I have ever worked with has taught me something new: from learning how to change a diaper at fifteen (Yuck!) to understanding how to run a business (more or less) by the age of thirty. 

After so many years of working for others, I decided I had the wherewithal to branch out on my own. It is not for the faint-hearted, but I am more of a leader (bossy) than a follower and I knew I had the discipline to make it work for me. It was time to make use of all that knowledge I had accumulated over the years. 

At first I worked very long hours to establish my business. Without the safety-net of a steady pay-check, the stress of trying to meet all of my old and new financial obligations played havoc with my stomach, but as time passed I came into my own and I managed to earn enough to cover all my business and personal expenses. Of course I made a lot mistakes along the way, but I learned from them and worked hard to make my business work for me. And it did work for me, for many years, until I moved away from the hustle and bustle of Mexico City. 

Nowadays I work as a free-lance translator. It's sporadic work and doesn't keep me very busy. For a while I tried to keep my brain active by playing games on the computer –all day, every day (very addictive)–, but there came a point when I became really bored with this and felt the need to do something more productive. Luckily, a few months ago I discovered a new source of entertainment that also gives me the opportunity to earn money and go back to teaching. I love teaching my new and ever-growing team how to build a business and earn a second income. 

I've never regretted branching out on my own. Being independent and keeping my own hours has given me a sense of freedom that no 9 to 5 J.O.B (Just Over Broke) can ever provide. Since I am more of a night owl, I love the fact that I can get up whenever I want and not have to listen to the incessant beeping of my alarm clock; I can sit around and wait for my brain to catch up while I drink my first cup or two of coffee; I can stand outside on my balcony and appreciate the scenery, the smell of freshly cut grass and admire the cheeky birds that come visit for a few seconds before flying off into the wild blue yonder.

Sure, once in a while I still miss that regular paycheck, but not enough to go back to the morning and evening rush-hour traffic, or the office gossip and in-fighting that plague most organizations or businesses. The fact is, I love being my own boss! 

See you next week!

PS If you are curious about what I am up to nowadays, please visit my website: moirasmoneymakingmoves.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment